Positive Affirmations for Social Anxiety Fears


Approaching my birthday, I've been pondering over how terribly self-conscious and skittish I was in grade school (and how I still am today). It primarily stems from social situations: worrying about how others perceived me, how I project myself and appear to the world... Although I've gained more confidence in myself, I still struggle with social anxiety. I've gotten better partly by using positive affirmations.


Thinking negatively can make you limit and shrink yourself. Thinking positively can help you become more confident and self-assured, decrease social anxiety, and allow you to foster healthy relationships with others. (via thriveglobal.com)

Illustration by riceisholy
(via giphy)
In counseling class last year, I learned how powerful and uplifting positive affirmations can be (Thank you, Mr. Goobs!) When you have low self-esteem, positive affirmations may feel silly to say out loud or even think of at first—but with time, they can help change the way you think about yourself for the better.

Positive affirmations realign and recenter the self when one gets especially lost in anxiety-induced, neurotic thoughts. It's an effective practice of The Law of Attraction, which is the philosophy that both positive and negative thoughts affect the choices, experiences, and circumstances of your life.

Here are a few positive affirmations revolving around social anxiety. They're grouped by different fears.


Fear of Missing Out

  • My life is full of abundance. There is no need to seek out other things when I already have stuff worth having and I already have places worth my spending time in.
  • I am undaunted by the temptation of changing my ways simply to fit in with others. I am unapologetically myself and unashamed of doing my own thing.



This TEDTalk by Kristen Neff inspired me to practice
more self-compassion & self-patience. Oftentimes,
people are extremely critical of themselves and they
can't recognize when they're actually doing a fine job
given their circumstances. (via blockislandtimes.com)

Fear of Rejection

  • I am courageous in reaching out to others. I am unphased by potential reactions of negativity or indifference I may receive.
  • I am unwavering after being dismissed or rejected. I appreciate knowing where I'm unwelcome, so I may better seek out places where I'm accepted and valued.


Fear of Inferiority

  • My worth is inherent. My worth isn't measured by what I look like, the places I've been to, the things I own, or the experiences I have been through.
  • I am self-compassionate. I am kind to myself, especially at times when I feel low and compare myself to others.


Fear of Abandonment & Being Alone

  • I am strong and can do just fine on my own. There is resilience in my solitude and vulnerability.
  • I am undiscouraged of long lengths between seeing my loved ones. Those meant to gravitate back into my life will do so at a natural time.
  • I am thankful to friends I've drifted apart from. I am grateful for the light they brought into my life and the good times we shared in the past.
  • I am enlightened by the lessons I've learned from those who've left me. I walk away from my experiences with better knowledge of who to let into my life.


(illustration by Ashleigh Green, via dribbble)

Fear of Embarrassment

  • I am only human and it's okay to make mistakes. There is nothing wrong with making small, harmless missteps here and there.
  • I am untroubled by demeaning judgment from peers and strangers. I do not rely on their opinions for self-assurance.
  • I am confident that there are others who accept me and my quirks, just as I can accept others and theirs.


Fear of Friendship & Intimacy

  • I am openhearted to letting people into my life. I am unafraid of creating connections and forging relationships.


(via tenor)

Thank you Jasmin—@jb_min—for the great topic suggestion "Facing your fears"! Many of my own fears burgeoned from social anxiety but it's gotten better using positive affirmations. For those reading, know that you are not alone in struggling with this; be patient and kind to yourself as you figure out how to interact with others and navigate the world.

This is my first post directed towards mental health, a very personal subject. Sharing these thoughts and affirmations with the world is healing and hopefully helpful to some, and I look forward to posting more about mental health in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment